in the blink of an eye
Creating your cleaning products is one of the best ways to protect your family from the chemical ridden and toxic cleaners we purchase today. My youngest child, Wyatt, is a magician. I have NEVER seen a child get something unscrewed, unlatched, and broken into with such minimal effort. In the picture, he had received this chocolate, as a gift. Within 30 seconds, or less, he found it in the bag, ripped open the box, unwrapped it, and had it in his hands without ANY help. My 7-year old wouldn’t have been able to do this! Wyatt is what I call a “watcher.” If I ever notice those big blue eyes fixating on an object, I immediately try to divert his attention and place it in an undisclosed area. Why do you ask? Well, once I turn my back he would make every attempt (climb, jump, throw) to obtain the item. Once it’s in his grasp he would then proceed to use his “magic” skills to open, break, or destroy it. My point here…..if he is determined enough he WILL get into ANYTHING! This leads into the biggest reasons I have chosen a more natural lifestyle, the safety, and health of my children. Having toxic cleaners in my home is a danger to my kids in their present and future.
Non-Toxic DIY for Better Health!!!
According to the Organic Consumer Organization, “In 2000, cleaning products were responsible for nearly 10% of all toxic exposures reported to U.S. Poison Control Centers, of these, 120,434 exposures involved children under six, who can swallow or spill cleaners stored or left open inside the home( How Toxic, n.d.).” The dangers of just having those chemicals in your home, without even using them, is enough to want to toss them in the trash.
2. Endocrine disruptors – Endocrine disruptors mimic human hormones, confusing the body with false signals. Exposure to endocrine disruptors can lead to numerous health concerns including such as fertility, premature puberty, miscarriage, menstrual problems, challenged immune systems, abnormal prostate size, ADHD, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and certain cancers.
3. Neurotoxins – Neurotoxins alter neurons, affecting brain activity, causing a range of problems from headaches to loss of intellect (Household Cleaning, n.d).”
Unfortunately, even limited exposure over time can lead to the detrimental health issues, especially in children in the future. “Developing cells in children’s bodies are more susceptible to damage than cells that have completed development, in particular for the central nervous system (Children are more, n.d).” As a parent, you can’t completely control what exposure your child faces outside your home, but you CAN do your best inside your home. Switching cleaner is something EVERY person can do. It’s a simple change that will benefit and PROTECT overall health and wellness for all involved!
DIY Cleaning Recipes
Each ingredient listed has been researched and shown as a “safer” alternative to other “traditional” products. Always make sure to read “Warning” and “proper use” labels for each product to ensure proper use and care.
HAVE A QUESTION or a recipe you would like to share? PLEASE COMMENT BELOW! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
“How Toxic Are Your Household Cleaning supplies?”. Organic Consumer Organization. The Green Guide. n.d. Web. 25 June.2016 <https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/how-toxic-are-your-household- cleaning-supplies>
“Household Cleaning Products May Do More Harm Than Good.” Green Clean Certified. Maid Brigaide. n.d. Web. .June.2016 <http://www.greencleancertified.com/green- cleaning-facts/household-cleaning-products-may-do-more-harm-than-good>
“Children Are More Vulnerable to Toxic Exposure From Chemical Cleaners.” Safe Cleaners.com. SafeCleaners.com.n.d. Web. .June.2016 <http://www.safegreencleaners.com/childrenshealth.html>