Do you or your loved ones toss and turn during the night? Does someone always wake up feeling unrested and cranky? Sleepy Cream can help! My daughter, Lainey, used to have HORRIBLE night terrors. Her grandmother suggested using Lavender Oil on the bottom of her feet. We were desperate and started applying lavender every night. After a week, her night terrors disappeared! This miracle sparked my interest. I began researching and “Sleepy Cream” was then created! Night terrors are no more, and now we ALL get a good nights rest!
How to Make Sleepy Cream
The first two ingredients you will need to make “sleepy cream” is coconut oil and cocoa butter. Coconut oil is my FAVORITE carrier oil because of its versatility and texture. The antibacterial properties of coconut oil also protect the skin from potential pathogens. Cocoa butter has a heavenly smell and is a fabulous moisturizer for the skin.
To begin, you will need to fill a saucepan 1/3 full of water and place it on the stove over medium-low heat. As the water is warming put 1 cup of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons cocoa butter in a glass bowl. Slowly lower the bowl of coconut oil and cocoa butter into water (if you have a double you can use that, instead).
Allow the two ingredients to melt completely. It usually takes around 3 to 5 minutes. Once melted remove from heat and stir gently. After stirring, place the melted mixture into the freezer for 8 to 10 minutes. The coconut oil and cocoa butter will be “squishy” in the middle. The outside edge of your concoction may be solid, but no worries…..it will mix up just fine once you begin blending.
Now it’s time to whip it up! Using either a standing or hand mixer, mix the contents of the bowl until it turns to a fluffy consistency. If you find hard pieces simply fold them in and continue to mix until all is well blended.
Next, add the magnesium and essential oils. Add one tablespoon of magnesium and mix with mixer. Once the magnesium is blended add 20 drops Cedarwood, 20 drops Stress Away, 20 drops Lavender, and 8-10 drops Vetiver essentials oils. Once essential oils are added, mix one final time. Tip: I always wait to add the magnesium and essential oils after I have the coconut oil and cocoa butter blended to the consistency I like. There have been times when my cream was either not harden enough or something (temperature, humidity) caused it to not “whip up” the way I preferred. When this happens simply remelt the mixture and try again.
Finally, place your cream in an oil-safe plastic or glass container to store for later! To use for improved sleep, apply to bottom of feet at bedtime for an awesome and interrupted night. Sleepy cream can also be used as a calming body butter or hand cream! It’s great for winter months when you have dry or cracked hands. Enjoy!
Sleepy Cream Ingredients
- 2 T cocoa butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 T magnesium oil
- 20 drops Lavender essential oil
- 20 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 20 drops Stress Away essential oil
- 8-10 drops Vetiver essential oil
- Pot filled 1/3 full of water or double boiler
- Glass bowl
- Glass or oil-safe plastic container
How to Make Sleepy Cream
- Combine cocoa butter and coconut oil in glass bowl. Fill a pot on the stove 1/3 full with water, and place the glass bowl into the water.
- Turn the stove onto medium-low heat, and melt the contents of glass bowl on the stove for about 3-5 minutes. You want the water to be at a gentle simmer, not boiling, so lower the temperature if needed. Stir the contents of the jar every so often to help everything combine.
- As soon as the ingredients are melted and combined, remove the bowl from the water.
- Place the glass bowl into the freezer.
- After 8-10 minutes, remove bowl from freezer and blend contents with standing or hand mixer until fluffy.
- When mixture is fluffy, add magnesium oil and blend with mixer.
- Once magnesium oil is evenly dispersed, add Lavender, Vetiver, Cedarwood, and Stress Away essential oils and blend with mixture a final time.
- Scoop the mixture into glass or oil safe plastic container and rub on bottom of feet at night or use as a calming hand/body moisturizer.