Need something for those cold fall days ahead? Bone broth is simple, cheap, and loaded with health benefits. Bone broth contains minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and silicon. These minerals are broken down into forms that your body can easily absorb. Want to improve your health naturally? Drink bone broth! How do you make it? It’s EASY!
First, you need some bones! I normally get a whole chicken from the store (free range, grass fed is the best) and cook it in the crockpot. ( With the cooked meat I will whip together chicken & dumplings, chicken salad, barbecue chicken, ect.).
I then strain the remains of the leftover chicken. I set the broth aside and pick through the leftovers. There’s always quite a bit of editable pieces you can find for things such as chicken salad. When you all the tasty chicken is gone, toss everything else in the trash EXCEPT the bones (neck, spine, rib and all).
Once you have the bone and broth separated, add both to the crockpot. Next, add Apple Cider Vinegar (I prefer Braggs). Then, if you prefer, you may include vegetables such as carrots, celery, kale, sweet potato, and onion. I incorporated organic celery and carrots in the broth shown in the pictures (if possible, only add organic veggies). Finally, add salt and pepper and other spices for taste. I love to add garlic pieces as well as thyme, rosemary, and oregano essential oils! It’s yummy!
Next, add 1/2 a gallon to 3/4 of a gallon of distilled water (distilled water is free of chemicals and chlorine). Place the crockpot on low and allow to simmer for 6 to 12 hours. I will prepare my broth the night before and let it simmer overnight ( normally 10 to 12 hours).
After 6 to 12 hours, strain the broth in a heat safe container. If you would like to eat the vegetables (which I do) pick through and take out the pieces of bones. Add the veggies to the broth.
You are now ready to drink your magic healing concoction! It’s so delicious and full of so many nutrients. Some of the benefits include:
Want to make your own?
Here is the full recipe:
- Grass-fed beef bones, chicken bones
- 1/2 to 3/4 Gallon of Distilled water
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
- (Optional): Organic Vegetable of choice and other Spices
- Place bones from grass-fed source into a large crockpot.
- Fill with distilled water making sure to cover all the bones completely
- Add a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar, Vegetables. and Spices of your choice.
- Set your crockpot on low, and cook for 6 to 12 hours.
- Use strainer to separate vegetables/bones from broth
- If you want to save the vegetables remove bones and add to broth.
- Use within 5 – 7 days or freeze for up to 6 months.